4ft Cabinet - A question for the structural engineers

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GOJ, Jan 17, 2012.

  1. GOJ

    GOJ

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    Good day all,

    I am planning a new 4ft setup and rather than cladding a metal frame in wood I am planning on building a superwood cabinet very similar to the one @shihr built for his 4ft planted setup http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?5527-122lx60bx45h
    The only structural differences will be that the front will be braced with a 44x44 strip of SA pine instead of the superwood strip and the centre frame built by shihr will be replaced by a full superwood upright.

    Now my question is will this stand adequatly support a standard 4ft (1220x450x450) built with braced 6mm glass (I think) as by Qualipet?
    The reason I ask is that shihr's tank was built with 10mm glass.

    Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Greg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest




  3. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Cant see a problem with your planned design at all. (although I am not a structural engineer...lol) - Most of the curve front Chinese imported tank stands have a lot less to them than what you are planning - yet they support tanks of 400l + .... To this day have not heard of one failing under the weight...
     
  4. OscaCT

    OscaCT

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2011
    Messages:
    637
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @GOJ - Post a sketch of your intended support frame design.

    It is all about distributing the load equally over the structure, eliminating concentrated stress areas and having minimal deflection - as glass cannot withstand a lot of deflection.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Here's a 4ft stand I designed on sketchup. I'm pretty sure this stand is a bit overbuilt (can use thinner wood) but you can never be too safe.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  6. Siamese fan

    Siamese fan

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2012
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Pretoria, waverly
    it looks amazing...:party:
     
  7. OP
    GOJ

    GOJ

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    @Razer2007 very nice stand, I am looking more at a cabinet that will provide its own support.

    @OscaCT I will draw my intended design today if I get a chance, otherwise this evening, scan tomorrow morning and post, unfortunately I am not that handy with these drawing programs.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    @GOJ, Oh I see, but you can always clad it in panels.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. HeinrichvH

    HeinrichvH

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2011
    Messages:
    498
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    @Razer2007 that is an awesome stand. Looks realy good

    Have you worked out how much it would cost you to build a stand like that?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Yeah I have. The calculated price is for a slightly bigger tank. 130X60cm.

    If the wood is R150 for a 3m piece, the it will be R750 for wood only. Still need you screws, brackets etc.

    If you're interested in the sketchup file and spreadsheet I can email it to you.
     
  11. OP
    GOJ

    GOJ

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    scan0001.jpg
    @OscaCT here is what I am planning. The attached drawing is just missing the doors and top.
    1. Base
    2. Cabinet floor
    3. Cabinet back
    4. Left side
    5. Centre support and cabinet divider
    6. Right side
    7. Front support beam
    Everything bar the front support beam (7) is in 16mm superwood. The base (1) is 20mm shorter than the length and width of the cabinet, thus allowing a 6mm overlap between the left right and back panels.
    The floor (2) will be attached to the base (1)
    The sides, centre and back (3,4,5 and 6) attached on top of that
    The support beam (7) will be 44x44mm (or thicker) meranti, inset into the middle support and attached to the inside of the left and right sides, possibly with a small block mounted directly below it on each side for a little extra support.

    scan0001.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OscaCT

    OscaCT

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2011
    Messages:
    637
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Goj,

    Thanks for the info.

    So for it looks good.

    What is the height of the unit and how do you intent to fix the panels together?
     
  13. OP
    GOJ

    GOJ

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    The finished height for the cabinet will be 610mm. Panels will be cold glued, clamped and screwed with 45mm chip screws, doors hung on anti slam concealed hinges.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Cabinet question structural Forum Date
Cabinet builder JHB- trying again General Equipment discussion Sep 19, 2024
Cabinet builders CPT? General Equipment discussion Sep 17, 2024
Dennerle Nano Cube 30L with Cabinet + Chihiros WRGB II Slim General Equipment discussion Aug 2, 2024
Wanted: 4ft Cabinet Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 2, 2023
Cabinet builders JHB General Equipment discussion Apr 10, 2022
Wanted: 4ft stand or cabinet Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 23, 2021
Over Head Cabinet Filter Filtration May 18, 2021

Share This Page