14 years later......

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Dec 12, 2012.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    In approximately 1997/8 I took 12 of my 2ft tanks out of commisioning and stored them outside in a carport where they were exposed to the weather and elements and I have not touched them since.....

    Today, I decided to expand a little in the fishroom.... so I randomly selected 3 of these tanks ..... cleared the leaves and debre from them and refilled them (on an outside stand)..... It is now about 10 hours ago..... and they're all still fine and filled to the brim.....

    They are all around 35 years old and was empty and exposed for at least the last 14 years...... Hats off to silicone sealer.......
     
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Guest




  3. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Everything was made better in the old day
     
  4. manicmonkey

    manicmonkey

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2012
    Messages:
    236
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    pretoria
    i was made in the old days and look at how awesome i am ! anyways post picks once expansion is done
     
  5. Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    Silicone Rocks!
    I have had similar experience, one of my tanks also stood empty outside for at least 5 years. Not as long as 14 years but yep a good tank can last ...
     
  6. hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    My existing 100 liter quarantine tank also stood outside for 2 years, then I decided lets start it up again and I dont have any leaks it has been running for 5 months with no leaks. Silicone does rule.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - years later Forum Date
Back at it after a few years break New members Sep 4, 2025
Hi all, just joined again after 10years afk. New members Oct 25, 2024
Starting again After 5 Years New members Aug 2, 2024
Slojo is back after a few years. New members Jul 23, 2022
Starting again after 25 years ! New members Jun 10, 2021
Hello Again after 4.5 years Beginner Discussions Apr 28, 2020
Return to fish keeping after 5 years General Discussions Nov 22, 2019

Share This Page